Personal Budgets/Direct Payments:

You may have heard that the money available from your local council to pay towards the cost of any support you need is now known as a personal budget.

If you are eligible for support from the council then a personal budget allows you to spend the money allocated for that support in a way that best suits you, and to stay as independent as possible. 

Your personal budget is the total sum of money needed to pay for your social care. When the council assesses your support needs, they will first of all check that you are eligible for help, then work out what specific help you need and calculate your personal budget accordingly. They will also tell you whether you have to pay a contribution towards any support which you receive.

You will then be able to choose how the total sum of money is spent and take as much control over your care as you feel comfortable with.

Access To Work:

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • start working
  • stay in work
  • move into self-employment or start a business